Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Change is coming

“Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.”- King Whitney Jr.

Which of these are you, are you fearful, encouraging or confident? Our weight loss and fitness journey can take us through all of these emotions and often we can be stuck for a period of time in one of them.

Our ultimate goal should be to find a change as a challenge; an opportunity to make our body fitter, healthier and better. If we can recognize the process and embrace each step of it then all of the steps that get us from one level to the next won’t become so daunting.

I have to admit that right now I’m between fearful and encouraging. I’ve just started to lift heavy so that I can put on a few pounds of muscle and this means going against everything that I have been doing for the last 11 months. I’m eating more calories and with this I will put on some fat. It is terrifying, yet I know, that if I do it with healthy food that the fat will be minimal and I’ll be able to strip it off in a few month at which time beautiful, strong muscles will appear. However, as the scale goes up the fat girl emerges her ugly head and laughs at me. She is telling me that I have failed. Conversely, the phat girl is boldly shoving her aside and telling her that in the end she will win.

Change… embrace it.

No comments: