Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I Did It

I did, yes I did it, I really, really did (happy dance inserted here)

Yesterday was my run day and in the continuation of my c25K training I was to walk for five minutes, jog for 28 minutes and then cool down with a 5 minute walk.

I started out feeling a bit apprehensive since my Sunday run was certainly not stellar, good but not great. However, as I got into about minute 16 or so I started feeling rather strong. I had a good beat going and my music was pumping. I had increased my speed from 4.8 to 4.9 thinking it wouldn't be that big of a difference to my body and it would help in the stamina area.

As I approached the 28 minute marker I glanced down at the screen and it showed that I had completed about 2.5 miles. Now the 5K is 3.1 miles. I started thinking that if I were running this race for real I wouldn't be stopping at the 2.5 mile point and just walking it in. What would I do, I would pickup the pace, I would see the finish line, I would cross it with all the might I could summon into my legs. So with that being said, I increased my speed and started to pretend to be in that race. As I got closer to the 3.1 marker I increased my speed again and "sprinted" across that finish line.

I cannot tell you how happy I felt and still feel. It is a huge accomplishment for me. One that in my wildest dreams I could NEVER have imagined contemplating yet doing and here I did it. I completed the 5K in 36 minutes and 24 seconds and that includes my 5 minute walking warmup. So I know that come race day I will have a great run.

Norman Vincent Peale wrote:

"Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself succeeding. Hold the picture tanaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop the picture...Do not build up obstacles in your imagination."

As I continue my training up to race day I will envision myself crossing the finishing line, running easily with great breathing control and strong legs. I will paint a picture of the sights, sounds and feelings that I will have of all the glory and pride that will be in completing this goal.

What picture have you painted of yourself today?

No comments: