Friday, July 20, 2007

The Outcome

I'm sure everyone is sitting at their computers with baited breath wondering how my WW weigh in went last night, right? Well I'm happy to say I was down one pound. Now, I will say that for a small moment I was a bit depressed. I mean, after all, I gained 1.6 the week before. I was thinking, “Why can’t it at least be the same amount I gained last week, there for my two weeks will be a wash” But in the end it is what it is and let me remind you all again, The Scale Does Lie! (http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm)

So after my meeting I continued on with my running program. I’m planning on running in a 5K race on August 11th. I’ve been working the C25K program and had to run 25 minutes continously. I was able to complete this task with a little help from Axel Rose and Steven Tyler, Let's face it, who could run slowly to “Dude Looks like a Lady” or "Paradise City"? I finished 2.5 miles in 35 minutes and that isn’t half bad considering I shaved off about 5 minutes from my previous time running the same distance.

However, this morning came my great awakening. My dearest friend reminded me last night or asked me “Who says you have to complete this goal within a certain time frame? He has asked this question before but I guess until yesterday it never really dawned on me, that it was only me that was putting the pressure on me to achieve this WW goal within a certain amount of time. Therefore, I have thrown out the window, the idea that I must reach this goal by next week or the week after or even the week after. If it doesn’t come for five more months then that is okay too. I know what I’m doing is healthy and I’m in the best shape of my life right now and I can only get better if I continue on the path that I am now.

Then, I ran across this quote from W Edwards Deming which really sums up how I feel today.

“We should work on our process, not the outcome of our processes”

So with that being said, it will be my process that I will continue to work on and let the outcome fall where it may and when it so chooses.

No comments: