Monday, June 25, 2007

Change Hurts

I really wanted to link this somehow to the “Love Hurts” song but just wasn’t clever enough today. So think of the tune to Love Hurts for a moment. (Music playing)

Sometimes I think about how my life used to be. How I used to eat, or not exercise, not really care about when I did eat or what it would be. I’m a very structured person so the fact that I was unstructured in this area is still sort of a mystery to me but oh well. For many months I really longed and mourned that lifestyle. I missed some of the spontaneity and fun that came with my eating and drinking. Any exercise I got might have consisted of playing with my horses or going for a casual walk with my son as he rode his bike. It wasn’t an easy thing to alter my habits no matter how much I wanted to.

Anatole France, a French writer, wrote; “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.”

It is strange that he uses the word die. It seems so permanent. Once something is dead it doesn’t come back, it is gone forever. We have to have this same attitude, what we are changing into cannot be something that is just for this week or year, we must completely be dead to our old lifestyle and then we will grow and enter a new one. I say grow because I’m assuming that our new life is just as an infant. We will start out with our baby steps, move onto a grammar type school and then secondary school and then graduate into our new life to live and be successful.
I believe that I am dead to my old life and now in the grammar school of my new life. Where are you?

No comments: