Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Scary Movie

I love a really scary movie. Not the fake blood and gore ones but ones that are suspenseful and make my skin feel like it is prickly. I can remember growing up, and sometimes still, when a scary part comes to the screen I cover my eyes and peek through my fingers. It is kind of as if just peaking will not make me look at the scariness full on and therefore mutes it in some small fashion.

Our new healthy lifestyle can be compared to a good scary movie. We really want one, like the thoughts of having one but only want to look at it through “our fingers”. However, if we aren’t facing this journey head on and looking straight it, how will we really know how frightening or intimidating it is? It may not be quite as daunting if we can see all of it instead of having our fingers covering bits and pieces of it. For all we know, our fingers could be covering the soft and harmonious parts and thus leaving us with a distorted and uglier picture.

Eleanor Roosevelt wrote a brilliant reflection on this topic, “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you REALLY stop to look fear in the face… do the thing you think you cannot do”

Now, I think I will go watch a scary movie and sit on my hands :)

No comments: