Saturday, May 12, 2007

Sticks and Stones

We all remember growing up and someone would say something that was hurtful. My mom would say the following poem.

“Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you”

Over the years, I too, have said the same thing to my children. But now that I’m working hard on a goal and perhaps I’m a little wiser, I’m beginning to doubt this. Sticks and stones do break bones but someone saying something to you can hurt you too. Maybe not physically but emotionally and although the physical parts can heal the emotional part can take years to heal. What it is does is shatter our self-confidence.

Self-confidence is what is required in order to believe in our own abilities and know that we can complete something or more importantly that we are worthy of something. If someone breaks this, we are left flailing and feeling that we are not worthy.

I’m worth this journey, I know what I’m doing is best for me both physically and mentally. I will be a better person because of it. I’m worth the sacrifices that I’m making and believe that I can complete this transformation and just as importantly so are you and I believe you will too.

No comments: