Sunday, April 29, 2007

Don't be a gerbil

Today was a beautiful day in NE Indiana. This doesn't happen too often and lately it has been a rarity. As early as Easter weekend it was snowing and below freezing temps and between that and the down pouring of rain I have been hard pressed to get outside for some physical activity.
Yesterday I did a 50 minute Intermediate cardio routine and only burned a few hundred calories. Very depressing when I think that I worked out for 50 minutes and even increased my pace. So today, since the weather was perfect, I laced up my walking shoes and headed out for a walk. I live in the country so a block usually equals four miles but today I went a different route and ended up walking 6.5 miles in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The end result was over 500 calories burned, some fresh air and pink cheeks.
Walking outdoors is an excellent activity and will work your body in ways that a treadmill or elliptical can't. You will have the curves of the road to deal with as well as slight inclines here and there and if you live where it is hilly you might even get a few hills in. All of these changes help our bodies to work in ways that we can't get from the gym plus it just makes me feel better emotionally,
So, instead of running on a treadmill like a gerbil, get outside, grab your dog, child, or significant other and go for a walk. You might even smell some roses along the way.

No comments: